Ashland Gallery Association First Friday Art Walk
January 2, 2015
Ring in the New Year and celebrate Ashland’s visual arts scene during the AGA First Friday Art Walk, January 2nd, from 5 to 8 pm!
Stroll the galleries in downtown Ashland and the Historic Railroad District. Enjoy this free community event filled with spectacular artwork, live music, artist demonstrations, refreshments and conversation with other art enthusiasts!
Pick up a Gallery Tour Map at any member gallery, the Ashland Chamber of Commerce, or download off of our website. For more information about all of the exhibits visit: www.ashlandgalleries.com
Schneider Museum of Art
Baker’s Dozen: SOU Creative Art Faculty 2015 and New Works: SMA Collection 2012-2014
Baker’s Dozen will showcase the diverse and engaging works of the Southern Oregon University Creative Arts faculty. New Works: SMA Collection 2012-2014 will feature works by national and international artists newly represented in the Museum’s collection. The exhibitions will be on view from January 12 through March 14, 2015. Regular Museum hours are Monday through Saturday, 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM. A special opening reception with the artists featured in Baker’s Dozen will be held on Thursday, January 15, from 5:00 to 7:00 PM.
Revealing a wide range of approaches and disciplines, Baker’s Dozen includes recent works by David Bithell, Cody Bustamante, Miles Inada, Peg Sjogren, Robin Strangfeld and visiting professors Rene Allen, Brooks Dierdorff, Summer Ventis, and Ben Waterman. A series of talks by the artists, readings by Creative Writing faculty Kasey Mohammed, Robert Arellano, and Craig Wright, and lectures by Professors Melissa Geppert and Warren Hedges will enrich the exhibition.
The dates for the free presentations are as follows:
- Thursday, January 22, 5:30 PM, Brooks Dierdorff
- Thursday, January 29, 5:30 PM, Summer Ventis
- Thursday, February 5, 5:30 PM, Melissa Geppert
- Thursday, February 12, 5:30 PM, Cody Bustamante
- Thursday, February 19, 5:30 PM, Craig Wright, Kasey Mohammad, Bobby Arellano
- Thursday, February 26, 5:30 PM, Warren Hedges
- Thursday, March 5, 5:30 PM, Rene AllenNew Works: SMA Collection 2012-2014 features many works donated by individual patrons, as well as works purchased with Art Acquisition grant funding from The Ford Family Foundation and the Oregon Arts Commission. Oregon artists represented include Arnold Kemp, Evan LaLonde, Ellen Lesperance, and Akihiko Miyoshi. These additions are an important educational resource for our patrons.
Two FREE Family Days accompanying this exhibition are scheduled for Saturday, January 24 and Saturday, February 21, 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM. The Museum will also hold Tuesday Tours – weekly docent-led educational tours for the public on Tuesdays at noon. Please call to schedule a special tour for your group. The Schneider Museum of Art winter exhibitions are generously supported by Del Rio Vineyards, Market of Choice, Rogue Frameworks, the Oregon Arts Commission, The Ford Family Foundation, and the National Endowment for the Arts – Artworks program.